Tuesday 22 June 2010

Little Batty Muse

Back in April I mentioned that I made the journey to Wonder-wool with my mate Alison. What I didn't mention was that as well acquired Wonder-wool plunder, Alison also gifted to me some of her de-stash which, included various fibers and hand-carded batts.

Now when it comes to batts and fiber prep its hard to compare Alison to anyone so i'll try to describe her skill another way, If i was talking in Bruce lee terms Alison is the kung-foo master of the fiber world. The amount of thought and preparation that she puts into her batts really does show through not only to look at them, but when they are spun.

It's not the first time Alison has given me some of her beautiful batts, when I first learnt to spin she gave me a pretty pink batt chocked full of sparkle and silky goodness, which as of yet, I haven't spun. Every time I pick it up and go to spin it I get caught up in its sparkliness and get an idea for something else. I suppose you could call it my little batty muse!

The most recent batts that I was given were lovely natural colours, this is something that I haven't really used as yet as I'm still in my 'unless its able to be seen from space colour, then its not being spun' way of thinking.

Heres a photo of the luurvely Batts...




I love both the colours on these, so I decided to spin them all into one yarn. They remind me of the Spring and Autumn seasons. They were lovely to spin, as I was unrolling them I felt really bad as I felt as though I should have kept them to just admire them.

Here's a photo of my spinning in progress...


There was a mass of soft fiber inside of the batt, snuggled away from the outside colour, this blended nicely with both batt colours.

Here's a photo of my finished yarn...



I'm really pleased with how it came out, not only is it one of my nicest non art yarns, I'm beginning to be swayed by the idea of playing with more natural colours. I do like to tinker with dyes now and again, so I may take this further watch this space................

3 comments:

  1. Your spinning is getting lovelier by the skein! I'm so glad you're enjoying the fibre life! I agree with you with regards to Alison's carding, she makes the most amazing batts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a lovely afternoon sharing ideas. I cant wait to get making the stitch markers! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bekka

    OOhh what a sweet post - I can fee th eold bonce swelling! You have made a fabulously artistic yarn there - the colours and textures look very beautiful - well done girl. Thanks for your lovely words about my batting! A

    ReplyDelete